In this podcast episode, your travel captain, Allen Suss, speaks with Greg Wilson of Wide Eyed Tours about travelling Indochina (Vietnam and Cambodia).
Some tips for travelling Indochina:
- You can get around Cambodia and Vietnam only speaking English
- Cigarettes and alcohol are very cheap
- Excellent accommodation with funky architecture. Very good value for money.
- Quality clothing for one-tenth of what you would pay in Australia.
Another advantage of Indochina travel is that it is not far to travel to from Australia.
Most people go to Hanoi, Vietnam and that’s all, but there are a lot of amazing places to visit in the far north. It has the best scenery in Asia, after Nepal.
When is the best time to travel Indochina?
- In Vietnam’s north, January (winter) is quite cold, so if you don’t like cold weather don’t go that time of year.
- Vietnam’s south is 35 degrees all year round.
- March into April is the best time to go, as well as August, for the milder weather.
About Greg Wilson
Started his career in retail travel in 1989 after travelling for 4 years and being well bitten by the “travel bug”.
Almost 30 years latter with a career having seen him in a variety of positions with such leading travel organisations like Contiki Holidays, Insight Vacations, Cruise Abroad, Eastern Eurotours to name a few.
Greg assisted in the introduction of Wide Eyed Tours onto the Australian Travel market in 2007.
Wide Eyed Tours is a “boutique” independent travel operator looking after traveller to destination Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Laos.
Some 11 years latter he finds himself in the unplanned situation of being perhaps the most travelled person, in the industry, to Vietnam and the region. There will be few who have a better knowledge of Vietnam.
Great Wilson is the National Sales Manager of Wide Eyed Tours.